Mechanical engineering: Introduction, Course, Scope and Career
What is mechanical engineering
Mechanical engineering is the study of
· Application of principles of engineering, physics and material science
· Application of science to produce machines from small pin to jet engines
· Translation of theoretical research into practical situation
· How energy and mass transfer takes place in industrial and domestic operations
· Mechanism behind working of machines
· Design of machines
· Selection of metals and materials
· Study of fluid flow and its mechanics study of energy, mass, machines, materials, design, thermal and kinetics
· Application of mathematics in engineering
What will you study in mechanical engineering
You will be studying following major subjects under mechanical engineering
· Fluid mechanics: It deals with the mechanism and characteristics of different types of mechanisms, effect of various factors and parameters on the fluid flow conditions and fluid flow properties. Types of pumps and its characteristics etc
· Material science : it deals with the properties, characteristics and selection criteria of different type of materials
· Heat and mass transfer: Modes of heat transfer, different types of heat exchangers and their designs, heat transfer under steady state and unsteady state conditions, mass transfer laws, mass transfer equipments and their working and design etc
· Thermodynamics: It deals with the topic for the condition of effect off and on thermal energy under dynamic conditions and Thermodynamics laws covered under physics subject during class 12th will fulfil the prerequisites for this course
· Machine design: It covers the various aspects of machine design and the parameters and factors affecting the best design
· Computer aided design: Student will design the equipment and machine or the part of it and will do the drawing and design of the same using software on computer
Why mechanical engineering
· Mechanical engineering is one of the largest broadcast and evergreen branches of core engineering since long.
· It is the heart of all industry where machines are used.
· Machines and Automations in machines have changed all the concept of life and made life more easy cant flexible.
· Due to Rapid growth of machinery automation design energy and innovation sector.
· Mechanical Engineering has become one of the fastest growing segment and sector of world's economy.
· Mechanical sector becomes the parameter of GDP rate.
· Though Number of innovations has taken place in mechanical engineering sectors the process of innovation and research is continuous and makes the mechanical engineering.
Who should select mechanical engineering as a career?
· Those who have aptitude for/Desire learning.
· Mathematics and designing skills.
· Complex problem solving.
· Sciences and its correlations with machine operations and design.
· Mechanism of operations.
· Development and design of new machines.
· To work with cutting edge Technology.
· Ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Machines and equipments.
· Time management and flexibility in terms of time and location.
· Inquisitive skills.
· Creativity and thinking skill.
· Teamwork attitude and mindset for hard work .
· Girls can also select it as a career option as they are having an opportunity to work on the project, design and consultancy divisions.
Does mechanical engineering have any scope after four years?
Yes, it has a scope of employment, entrepreneurship and further study.
· Government is focusing on Entrepreneurship and more number of companies are coming up in mechanical sector.
· It is a Core and production oriented branch, hence very few external factors can affect its growth.
· Irrespective of core Mechanical Engineering Company, all the industries ( it may be SME's, SSI, LSI or MSI) requires mechanical engineer.
· Students have huge scope in public sector units, if they clear GATE examination, they may get direct interview call and placement in public sectors like ONGC.
· Strong job opportunities are available in the sector like design and development, oil and gas industry, engineering consultancy, food and beverages industry, textile engineering industry, Steel industry, etc.
· Giant companies hiring mechanical engineers are BARC, SIMENS, HERO, HONDA, SKF, Kylem, Tisco, Cummins, ISRO, SAIL, MARUTI SUZUKI, CEAT , NTPC, ONG ABB, ARAI, BHEL, Ambuja Cement, SUZLON, ITT, MRF Tyres, ALSTOM, RIL, ESSA STEEL, TAFE, GODREJ, JSW STEEL, GE ENERGY, MAHINDRA , HAL , THERMAX etc.
In addition to the above strengths and scope for mechanical engineering few threats are also there which one should consider while selecting mechanical engineering, as a study option.
· Number of seats for mechanical engineering in the state increased vertically, above 16000 seats, which increase the employment competition among the students.
· Lack of state of art facilities for mechanical engineering in many institutes spoil the four years of Engineering and do not provide good placement opportunities and assistance for better growth, students should be ready to work at remote places and relocation.
Difference between mechanical engineering, Automobile engineering and Mechatronics engineering
· About 60% subjects to be studied in automobile engineering and Mechanical engineering are common.
· Engineering is a specialised branch, whereas mechanical engineering is a General branch.
· Mechatronics engineering is a blend of mechanical engineering and electronics engineering.
· Communication engineering is not a part of mechatronics engineering.
· About 60% to 70% syllabus of mechatronics engineering is from electronics engineering and rest is from mechanical engineering.
· Students having mechatronics engineering have limited scope for government job, due to issues of equivalency of mechatronics engineering and mechanical engineering.