Electric Engineering: Introduction, Course, Scope and Career
What is Electrical Engineering?
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING IS THE STUDY OF
· Problems associated with large scale electrical systems such as generation, transmission, distribution and utilisation of electrical power.
· Design of electrical machines like motor, generator and transformer.
· Research and development of transmitting electrical power through mechanical objects and finding ways of storing the energy.
· Deals with electrical appliances and their control.
· Application of electricity, electronics and electromagnetism.
· Conversion between AC and DC power.
· Generation of electricity by different means like hydro, thermal, solar power, tidal energy etc
· Finding different ways for energy saving in industrial lighting.
· Application of electrical energy to mechanical energy conversion and vice versa.
What will you study in Electrical Engineering?
You will be studying following major subjects under electrical engineering :
· ELECTRICAL MACHINE:
It deals with the characteristics and performance of different types of electrical machines like motor, generator and transformer.
· Electrical power generation:
It deals with generation of electrical energy by means of different ways. It includes conventional and nonconventional sources like hydro, solar power, tidal energy etc.
· Power system analysis:
It deals with reliability of the power system and factor affecting the power system stability.
· Electrical machine design :
It deals with how to make most efficient electrical machines that can convert energy between electrical and mechanical. Student should have good mathematical background and analytical skills.
· High voltage:
It deals with generation of high voltage and its measurement. It includes the testing of electrical machines at high voltage and its response.
· Electrical measurements:
It deals with performance and design of different types of metre for measuring electrical quantities.
· Electrical power utilisation and traction :
It deals with various systems of electric traction like locomotives, tramways, trolleys track electrification etc.
It also includes industrial lighting, welding and heating process.
· Power Electronics and drives:
It deals with components used to convert between AC and DC supply. Control of electrical machines using electronics circuits and its performance.
Why Electrical engineering?
· Electrical engineering is one of the largest, broadest and evergreen branches of core engineering since long time.
· In Modern era one cannot imagine life without electricity.
· Electricity has changed the lifestyle of the people and day by day the need of electricity is increasing.
· Electrical engineers are developing clean and efficient renewable energy and electric/ hybrid vehicles to radically reduce our dependence on fossil fuel and to reduce our CO2 emission.
· As in the development of the one electron transistor in nanotechnology to the very large Power Engineering generator and transmission lines Electrical Engineering has a key role.
· Electrical engineering is the parent branch of all electronics and communication, computer science and information technology branches.
· Electrical engineering gives you exciting, rewarding, challenging, flexible and career building platform.
Who should select Electrical engineering as a career?
Those who have desires of learning:
· Mathematics and designing skill.
· Complex problem solving.
· Sciences and its correlations with electrical laws and theories.
· Mechanism of operation of electrical tools and components.
· Development and design of power system, electrical machines and electrical appliances.
· To work with cutting edge technology and software.
· Ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of power system, electrical machines and electrical appliances.
· How to work on shop floor with safety and precautions.
· How to work with time management and flexibility in terms of time and location.
· Inquisitive skills.
· Creativity and thinking skills.
· Teamwork attitude and mind set for hard work.
· How to work in shift time.
Does Electrical engineering have any scope after four years?
· Yes, it has a scope of employment, entrepreneurship and further study.
· Government is focusing on Entrepreneurship and more number of projects and companies in power sector and Infrastructures are coming up.
· Electrical engineering is a Core and essential branch. Hence, very few external factors can affect its growth.
· Irrespective of core electrical engineer companies, all the industries (it maybe SMES, SSI, LSI or MSI) like requires Electrical engineers.
· Students have huge scope in public sector units. If they clear GATE examination, they may get direct interview call and placement in public sector units like NTPC, Power Grid, BEML, BHEL and ONGC.
· Strong job opportunities are available in almost all fields like design and development, production, Maintenance, Services, Project Planning, execution and testing.
· Many core electrical companies and other companies like ABB, alstom, Siemens, Cummins, NTPC PowerGrid, LNT Tata Power comma Reliance Reliance Power BHEL ISRO ONGC, Ambuja Cement, Suzlon Essar group, ABG group, Godrej, Tata Group, GE energy, Mahindra, HAL, Thermax, etc
· It has a scope of employment and further studies in foreign countries also.
· Girls can also work in project, consultancy and design team.
In addition to the above strengths and scope for electrical engineering, few concerns are also there which one should consider while selecting electrical engineering as a career option.
· Lack of laboratory and research facilities for electrical engineering in many institutes will affect on knowledge and compatibility of students.
· For the better growth students should be there did to work at remote places and relocation process.
· Ready to travel across country, even in hard condition and at remote places.
Difference between Electrical engineering & Electronics and communication engineering
· Electrical engineering is the field of Engineering that generally deals with the study and application of electricity while electronics and communication is an engineering discipline which deals with nonlinear and active electronics components and modes of communication like analogue and digital.
· About 60% of subjects to be studied in Electrical and EC engineering are common.
· Electrical engineering is more concentrating on electrical machines and power system while EC Engineering has more concentration on integrated circuits and communication.
· As per the current scenario job opportunities for electrical engineer is more in government as well as in private sector as compared to EC engineer.