Career in Hotel Management
One of the significant outcomes of globalization is the tremendous growth in the tourism and hospitality industry. With India being one of the most popular travel destinations, the government too is encouraging and investing in the development of these industries.
The hotel industry is a crucial part of the hospitality industry with a huge growth potential in the near future. The demand for hotel management professionals is already huge and is expected to grow more with the increasing number of hotels being set up in India and all over the world. Apart from its glamour, a career in hotel management has become lucrative and exciting, attracting more and more students to opt for it.
Hotel management jobs include multiple skills like food and beverage service, front office operation, sales and marketing, accounting etc. Many government colleges and private institutes in India offer certificate, diploma or degree courses in hotel management.
- Minimum qualification necessary for a hotel management course is 10+2. Depending on the cost and duration of the course, one can opt for a certificate ,diploma or degree course.
- Certificate courses can be of six months to one year duration, a diploma of two years and a degree course of three year duration.
- Selection for government recognized colleges and institutes is done through the common entrance test held in April every year. The test consists of multiple choice questions in English, Reasoning, General Science and General knowledge.
- A group discussion and personal interview is conducted further to assess the personality and aptitude of the candidate before he is finally selected for the hotel management course. Private institutes too conduct tests along the same lines for selecting candidates.
Candidates need to be hardworking and should possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to handle disputes or criticism with patience. He/she should be co-operative ,polite and respectful towards guests in all situations.
There are many exciting jobs opportunities for hotel management graduates with the increasing competition in the hotel industry. Since a hotel has many departments such as Operations, Front Office, Food and Beverages, Accounting, Sales and Marketing, Engineering/ Maintenance, Security etc. one can opt for a field of their liking and pursue a career and successfully grow in it.
Apart from jobs in Hotels and restaurants, hotel management diploma holders /graduates can find good jobs in:
- Airline Catering (flight kitchen) and Cabin Services
- Club management
- Cruise Ship Hotel Management
- Hospital administration and catering
- Hotel and Tourism Associations (for eg: state tourism development corporations)
- Hospitality services in the Indian Navy
- Hospitality services in various MNCs
- Forest Lodges
- Guest Houses, resorts
- Kitchen Management (in hotels or running canteens in college, schools, in factories, company guest houses etc.)
- Catering departments of railways, banks, armed forces, shipping companies etc.
- Hotel and catering institutes (as a management trainee/ marketing or sales executive)
- Self employment (as an entrepreneur)
Upon completion of a diploma or degree course in Hotel Management, one can get in to the industry as a trainee and then be absorbed into various positions after completing the training. The entry level salary of a Hotel Management graduate can be around Rs.7000 to Rs.10,000 and can increase with growing experience in the field.