Automobile engineering: Introduction, Course, Scope and Career
What is automobile engineering?
Automobile engineering is the study of:
· Application of principles of Engineering, Physics, ergonomics and Material Sciences.
· Application of science to produce automobiles and it engine and its parts.
· Translation of theoretical research into practical solutions.
· How energy and mass transfer takes place in automobiles and its operations.
· Mechanism behind working of engines and its parts.
· Design of automobiles and engines.
· Selection of metals and materials.
· Study of ergonomics and its design.
· Study of energy, March, machines, materials designs and thermal kinetics.
· Application of mathematics in engineering.
What will you study in automobile engineering?
You will be studying following major subjects under automobile engineering:
· AUTOMOBILE ENGINES:
It deals with the introduction of the engines, its types, different engine systems, fuels, current and future power trains etc.
· Automobile systems:
It deals with various systems of automobile like - transmission system, suspension system, steering system, Braking System, etc.
· Material science:
It deals with the properties and selection criteria characteristics of different type of materials for automotive vehicles.
· AUTOMOBILE HEAT TRANSFER:
Modes of heat transfer, different types of radiators and their design, types of cooling systems will be studied under the subject.
· VEHICLE MAINTENANCE AND GARAGE PRACTICE:
It deals with the maintenance of vehicle automobile systems and different garage practices and service stations, etc
· AUTOMOBILE COMPONENT AND SYSTEM DESIGN:
It covers the various aspects component design, system design and the parameters and factors automobile related to designing.
· VEHICLE BODY ENGINEERING:
It deals with construction and design of bodies of car, bus and commercial vehicles. It also deals with safety requirements of Automotive vehicles.
· VEHICLE DYNAMICS:
It deals with longitudinal and Lateral dynamics of the vehicle. It also deals with performance of vehicle including breaking, cornering and acceleration.
· TWO AND THREE WHEELER AND OF HIGHWAY MOBILITY:
These subjects deals with design working and maintenance of two and three wheelers, off road machinery, haulage trucks etc
· Automobile electrical and electronics systems:
It deals with various electrical and electronics systems like vehicle starting systems, battery charging systems, lighting systems, CRDI-MPFI charging system, ECU, ECM, etc.
Why automobile engineering?
· Automobile engineering is one of the largest, broadest and evergreen branches and automobile are the fastest transportation specialised engineering since long, developing sectors and contributing a lot to the GDP of countries.
· Due to Rapid development in automation, innovation, design etc, Automobile Engineering has become one of the fastest growing segments of world's economy.
· Though Number of innovations has taken place in automobile innovations and research is continuous and makes automobile engineering, the process engineering and all time attractive branch.
· Enhances safety, economic vitality, enjoyment and overall quality of life.
Who should select automobile engineering as a career?
Those who have desires of :
· learning mathematics and designing skill.
· Complex problem solving.
· Sciences and its correlation with automobile operations and design.
· Mechanism of operations.
· Development and design of new segments of automobiles.
· To work with cutting edge Technology.
· Ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of automobiles machines and equipment.
· How to work on shop floor, in workshop and carriages.
· Vehicle maintenance and repairs.
· How to work with time management and flexibility in terms of time and location.
· Inquisitive skills.
· Creativity and thinking skills.
· Teamwork attitude and mindset for hard work.
· How to work in shift time girls can also opt for an automobile engineering is there is a scope for them to work in project, consultancy and design team.
Does automobile engineering have any scope after four years?
· Yes, it has a scope of employment, enterpreneurship and further study.
· Government is focusing on enterpreneurship and more number of companies are coming up in automobile sector.
· It is a specialised and production and maintenance oriented branch. Hence, very few external factors can affect its growth.
· Irrespective of core automobile company, all the industries ( it may be SMEs, SSI, LSI or MSI) involved in manufacturing engineering of parts of vehicle and hence require Automobile Engineer.
· Giant companies hiring automobile engineers are Tata, Hero, Honda, Maruti Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Volkswagen, Nissan, Chevrolet, Suzuki, Mahindra, etc.